Tuesday, November 19, 2013

For many months, I have been struggling to find the words to talk about this year; my first year of teaching, first year of my fellowship with Teach For Malaysia. At times I felt like I should share joys and successes; at times I wanted to be completely honest and talk about failures, about  impossibilities, about how our efforts are inevitably flailing in the face of a situation so huge, a problem so complex. I struggled between being crudely realistic and being optimistically positive. Mostly, I struggled with a messy, noisy, blank - a bag full of things to express, but nothing intelligible.

And then my friend Constance said something very profound - or rather, quoted it :
"For those who have, more will be given to them."

It stuck with me for days. I thought, yes. That's what it is. Because I feel like I have had nothing exceptional to offer this year, and yet - some things have worked out... astonishingly well. I think back to the good things that have happened this year - the students who show growth in exams and attitudes in class; the students who in my classes now know their place in the world to think carefully about things and express their opinions. A trip to university that still lights up the eyes of those who went. Being vouched for by the district education office, with the opportunity to work together and share knowledge on a larger scale, next year.

When we were starting out, we never imagined some of these turning out the way they did. We talk about it and say - It feels like a lot of things this year happened by accident. A stroke of luck.

We say this because throughout the year, I did not feel like I was winning, at all. Night after night, I slept restlessly and woke up the next day, panicky because I did not know what to do. I planned lessons but  was obsessed with how it would turn out; mostly the thought of entering class and dealing with 30 students made me anxious. Nothing makes you feel as vulnerable as teaching in front of a class of young students. I had no control over how my students behaved, no confidence that they would listen to anything I said or do anything I asked them to do. My failures are apparent in the kid who is disengaged, sleeping, talking, or walking and throwing stuff. My lack of authority is glaring in the student who blatantly refuses when I ask him nicely to do his work or switch seats. It is emasculating. More than once, I felt like being observed teaching was like being naked in a room full of people.

Day after day we tried and failed, and the next day we tried again. Some days it took everything I had to dress up and show up. Some days I felt too powerless and stayed at home in bed. A constant fight or flight mode - moments when every weak nerve in my body scream to get away from the situation, and I have to fight and do it anyway. Show up anyway. Go into class anyway. Teach anyway.

But this is where what Constance quoted is important - 'To those who have, more will be given.'
We had little, but we were faithful with what we had. We put our little to action. We tried and tried and tried. When we felt heartbroken, we came back the next day, training our love to be bigger. And seeing this, our schools and systems gave us more to match our efforts. Our students were able to respond in kind, with some fruits of what we have sown. This is what makes it worth it.

This is the most important and affirming lesson I will learn this year. Sometimes faith, love and action are all there is, and it is enough. It wasn't luck, fortunate accidents or an arbitrary flow of events that magically gave us what we gained. It was being faithful with what we had and putting them into action.

Because of that we can leave this year with more...and next year we can trust that more more will be added to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment